Ten Advantages of Mediation
The advantages of mediation as a means of resolving family conflict far out-weighs any advantage that may be thought to be gained through taking a matter through the Courts. Ten advantages of mediation include:-
Advantage : Mediation Is Informal
- Mediation is a far less formal process than the traditional adversarial model of conflict resolution.
- The Mediation process is not bound by traditional legal formalities. Mediation is accordingly far less time consuming and far less costly than litigation.
- Mediation generally takes place in a relaxed and informal environment.
Advantage : The Parties Make the Final Decision
- Mediation requires the participation of all the parties to the mediation. Party self-determination and autonomy ensures that parties are better able to come up with their own solutions that will best meet their individual needs, goals, interests and aspirations, as well as those of the extended family unit.
- Increased party involvement in the outcome and settlement of the dispute at hand has a direct impact on the likelihood of ongoing future compliance with the terms of the agreement which the parties have themselves devised, as opposed to the agreement terms having been imposed upon them by outside sources.
- Parties to a Mediation process can at any stage of the process terminate the process and take their matter to Court.
Advantage : Mediation Helps Parties Find Workable Realistic Solutions
- Throughout the Mediation process options are assessed from a reality- testing perspective. The outcome of this is that parties ultimately obtain solutions that are both realistic and workable and have long-term applicability.
- Mediation seeks to preserve the parties’ dignity and respect. The focus of the mediation is always on the future workability of the proposals as opposed to historical assessment of party conduct.
Advantage: Mediation Reduces Levels of Conflict
- Mediation by its very nature serves to reduce conflict as opposed to exacerbating the levels of conflict already existing between disputing parties.
Advantage : Mediation Preserves Family Relations
- Mediation offers parties a better chance of preserving delicate family relationships.
See also : http://www.traceyleighwessels.com/salient-features-mediation/